Friday, October 26, 2012

Why I love Urban Living.


I had a friend come up and stay with me this weekend. As we were driving from Santa Monica back to my house in the city, she said “ it is so odd to see you in such a run down place. I don’t think I could ever do it.” As she was speaking, I started to think. Yes, LA is run down, beaten down and rough around the edges but there are so many reasons I chose it.
1.       The food. The culture of food here is incredible. I can eat an entirely raw meal and then walk three feet and have the best thai food in the world. Everything from vegan ice cream, to small shops that close every few hours in order to make the food only to re-open with what they have been cooking. Food trucks hidden on street corners that have the best waffles or the best tacos around. There is always something to be seen and eaten here. You want sushi? Great, its here. You want the best pizza, its just 3 miles west. You want the best coffee in LA, I can get you there in less than five minutes. I love that.
2.       Diversity. I work in Glendale which happens to have the most Armenian inhabitants other than Armenia, which is crazy in itself. However, when I get home, there is a large Hispanic community all around me. Young and old, I see many families walking to and fro. Moms with their kids after school, older men with their CVS bags in hand, even to the homeless man on a wheelchair talking to the sidewalk. I see a lot and although it might be deemed as “run down” I see it as beautiful and eye opening.
3.       Places. I can go from a poverty-stricken part of town to the most beautiful place in LA within five miles. I dare not say 5 “minutes”, because anyone who has spent decent time in LA knows that a 5 mile drive takes no less than 20 minutes. All that said, I can go from Hollywood to Silverlake (my favorite place) in 10 minutes. I can go from Hollywood to the heart of downtown in 20 minutes. I can be swimming with the surfers in 30 minutes and I can be hiking the Malibu cliffs within 40 minutes. There is so much to do and see.
4.       My church. I will not idolize the place the Lord has given me to attend on Sunday mornings, however I am thankful for their mission as a body of Christ believers in the city. There are many wonderful churches here in LA, and we are thankful for them. We pray for the gospel-centered churches. We pray for blessing and vision and grace. I like how the friends I have created at church challenge me. Just the other night, my good friend called me and within 15 minutes of chatting, she was reading bible verses to me. I am humbled to be around men and women who are passionate for the Lord and his will.
5.       Urban.  The very reason I do not like LA all the time is the same reason I know I am here. No, LA is not pretty. No, LA is not clean. No, LA is not suburban. LA, however is the place I feel I am to serve. Over the past few months, the Lord has shown me that he is in the less-than-desirable places, but that is where I will see him most. I have a greater calling here than to just “live”. I am supposed to go to the dark places. I am supposed to go to the unwanted. I am supposed to go to the poor. Jesus went there for me. 

1 comment: