Saturday, December 1, 2012

Everyday Graces

It's officially my favorite time of year. I love the fall. All things pumpkin I adore. I especially love Christmas, however, more than any other holiday. If you know anything about me, I am the queen of nostalgia.  If something exciting happened "one week ago today" i remember it and reflect on the day that has passed. If something neat happened " a year ago today" i let myself remember what I felt and where I was at when that specific instance occurred. 



A year ago today, I bought my first car. A little black honda cr-v. I remember it like it was yesterday and an infinity ago all at once. I remember coming home from work and asking my roommate where the keys were. I was so excited about it, that night I went to Target and bought snow gloves and a snow scraper for the storm that had already set in. I was so excited. 

Today, I did something entirely different. I participated in this. A year ago I remember feeling such gratitude and thanks for my car. I was so grateful for transportation of my own. I was so thankful for the Lord's provision. Today, I am so grateful and thankful in a completely different way. I got to see His kingdom today down on skid row. I am grateful for his love and how he loves us all the same. I am thankful for his pursuit of me and protection over my life. I was humbled for not just a car, I was humbled for even the chance to participate in what I did, to hear these stories and listen to these men and women who showed up. I came home and began to realize everyday graces in everything I have. I ate lunch and I truly was thankful for food. I took a nap and was thankful for a bed and a blanket to keep me warm. I walked to my neighbors to do laundry and was thankful for my legs that get me around. 

Grace abounds all around me. I am more and more aware of it the more I focus on his kingdom and his mission. In the past three weeks the Lord has been revealing to me true gratitude and thankfulness. I am understanding what it means to give thanks in ALL things. In order to see his glory, we must suffer with him, with his people. When we exalt him and see him where he rightfully belongs as king, we correctly view ourselves and the world around us. 

Colossians 4:2- Continue, steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment